I had a very busy day today running errands and had very little time to make dinner. This rice pulao is a great dish to make if you don’t want to do take out but want something quick and healthy. I’ll also admit that it has been a gorgeous few days in Toronto this week, and on days like these the last thing I like doing is being cooped up in the kitchen!:)
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves : 6-8
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Cauliflower cut up into small florets
- 1 can Chick Peas washed
- 1 Red Pepper thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 3.5 cups water
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 3 large Black Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 packs paneer cut into cubes or horizontal steaks
- 2 cups plain yogurt (keep extra yogurt if you would like to eat it with your rice)
- 3 tablespoons Cilantro/Mint chutney (homemade or store bought)
- Heat avocado oil in dutch oven or large pot.
- Sautée onions ginger and cumin together.
- Once onions look slightly golden, add salt, garam masala, freshly ground black pepper, cardamom, vegetables and sautée on medium to high heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add rice and 3 1/2 cups of water
- Heat rice on high heat until it boils. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rice Pulao should be ready. Gently use fork to mix and separate rice grains.
- Serve with yogurt.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Mix chutney and yogurt together in a bowl.
- Marinate paneer in chutney yogurt mixture. Ideally, if you have time, it’s best to have the paneer marinate for a few hours to allow flavours to absorb. However, if you are short on time like me today, it will still turn out fine.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place paneer on baking sheet and then into the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes turning sides after 10 minutes.
- Once paneer appears golden brown, remove and serve.