I cook with tofu at least once a week. Being vegetarian I try to use as many plant based protein options as possible. For anyone not wanting to eat eggs, tofu is the perfect substitute. I like cooking this curried tofu as a side dish or as a brunch option.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25-30 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 1 package medium firm tofu (medium firm makes it easy to crumble)
- 3-4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large fry pan heat avocado oil.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds. Heat and sautée until onions become light brown.
- Add tomatoes. Sautée until tomatoes soften and mix well with the onions.
- Add all dry spices to onion and tomato mixture and mix well.
- Add tomato paste. Mix well. You can add some (1/4 cup) water to help in mixing the ingredients.
- Add peas and bell pepper. Sautée for 5 -7 minutes at medium to high heat. Mix well.
- In a sepatate bowl, crumble tofu by hand or with a fork. Add to peas and peppers. Mix well on medium heat for 5 minutes. Cover and lower temperature to low for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, if there is alot of liquid, adjust heat to high and mix until liquid evaporates.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.